Sunday, June 7, 2009

getting ready...and background

We got new flash cards today so we can take LOTS of pictures! Cat is making the list (I am checking it twice) of things we need to do before we go and things we want to do while there. There is so much to do and I am so excited to do it!

Let me give you some background on this in case you don't know...I won this trip! Yes, won it! I was nominated for an REB Award for Teaching Excellence by the parents of one of my students last school year. The nomination letter the father wrote still makes me cry every time I read it. I was honored by their even wanting to nominate me for the award, very touched by the beautiful things written, quite surprised that I made it past the first stage of the process, and TOTALLY SHOCKED to hear my name called as a winner. Cat had to punch me and tell me to get up and go forward after she screamed out when my name was called! I truly didn't believe it! I know I will be pinching myself the whole time we are in the UK....woohoo! I am extremely grateful for the kindness of these parents. This is the chance of a lifetime, and they made it possible! (You know who you are! THANK YOU!!!!!)
Of course I didn't want to go on this trip all by myself, but Harvey hates to fly, flew to Kansas last winter and proclaimed that he is done with flying! Cat jumped in and volunteered to go with me if I won...so of course she is holding us to it! That's ok---we told her it is her 21st birthday/Christmas/graduation present! (Her trip is not paid for in the award.....) She's ok with that, and we just say "London" whenever she asks for things right now. hahah~! I do feel guilty leaving Harvey and Jay at home...and Jay has to get his wisdom teeth out while we are over there so there is some serious mommy guilt going on...but I think they will be fine and will possibly enjoy the quiet house! Cat and I will have a great time and will talk their ears off when we get home.

For now I have to get through the last week of school and make sure everything gets done so the trip goes smoothly. I forsee not a lot of sleep in the next 3 weeks....that's ok! I don't want to miss anything!

1 comment:

  1. True, I did scream and have to tell you to go up there. You forgot to mention that we were actually talking during the banquet when they called your name in the first place! haha oops! It will be the best time EVER and I can't wait to go with you, Momma! I still giggle every time I think about it, out of pure disbelief. Oh, and just to throw this out there for anyone reading, I AM helping to pay for my part, and am taking my own spending money! And a big thanks to my Grandmama for paying for most of my plane ticket, as well. :)

    Love you Momma! We are SO CLOSE!!!

    ReplyDelete